We were wondering how we were going to get enough topsoil/compost for the Hugels. Luckily there is plenty of leaf mulch from the oak woods nearby and we’ve been bringing it in by the barrow load. They are starting to look like beds at last.
The cabin field, next to the main house field, is an old vineyard and clay -really deep clay. It’s a quagmire when it rains and concrete in the sun. It would take a lot of work to make beds and that’s not what we want. So we’ve gone for hugelkultur. This way we get to use the rotten wood from the house that we’ve half-demolished, the cardboard and all the packing from the cabin and it will also be our compost heap.
We ended up dismantling one hugel as we’d have to dig it up again to run water from the cabin to the house, but the other is almost finished as of December and has garlic planted in it.
We’ve also made another veggie patch outside the fence and planted beans, lettuce and chard. It is a veggie patch with a view!
We’re trying no-dig gardening, so have simply put a thick layer of mulch from the woods over the ground and we’ll see what happens.